Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Lesson from a Hummingbird

I was at Young Disciple's Youth Bible Camp, in the heart of the girls' camp, standing in the middle of a canvas tent-turned-oven. The tiny bird was zipping frantically around the tent, desperately searching for a way out. Several of the girls and I had entered the tent, trying to figure out a way to help the poor hummingbird. A couple times it came almost within reach of my hand in its growing desperation and terror. Finally, I was able to get the other side of the tent opened and another girl helped me hold the flaps so the opening was as wide as possible. However, the little bird seemingly didn't notice the attempt. Eventually, the tiny thing settled on part of the door flap to rest. It suddenly noticed the opening it had missed for so many minutes and with a chirp that must have said, "Praise God!" it zipped out of the tent and on to wherever a little hummingbird is supposed to be.

I am so often like that hummingbird. I trap myself in a situation I cannot see my way out of, I give in to temptation, or I'm simply presented with major life decisions and cannot see the way the Lord would have me take. Yet I spend my time and energy flying madly in circles, trying to figure it out for myself. But when I take time to be still and know that He is God, He makes His way of escape, His plans, His wisdom clear.

Stand ye still and see the salvation of the Lord with you. (2 Chronicles 20:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment