I was a bit flustered, because when I arrived back at school at 1:00 a.m., my alarm clock was nowhere to be found and I knew I hadn't taken it with me. No matter how hard I looked last night (this morning), the little clock was not to be seen. Oh well, I thought, I'll search again after my devotions. It's got to be here somewhere! A little voice reminded me that I hadn't prayed about it yet. Reluctantly, feeling a bit foolish, I sent up a quick request that God would help me find the clock after I finished my devotions.
I pulled out my Bible and Bible Readings, got my Bible-marking pencil, and settled in to enjoy my time with my Best Friend. The next verse in the Bible study I was working on was Psalm 65:2, "O Thou that hearest prayer, unto Thee shall all flesh come." I stopped, surprised at the way David addressed God. I've always taken it for granted that God answers prayers. I never let it sink in before that not only does God answer prayers, He hears them. There is a difference. A huge difference. Ever ask your parents for something and gotten a quick answer? ("Mom, I'm thirsty!" "Here, take a drink of water.") How many times someone has come to me and I've simply answered them, without taking time to actually hear them. ("I'm anxious about my test tomorrow." "Keep studying! I'm sure you'll do fine," instead of "Can I help you study for a few minutes? Why don't you explain this concept to me.")
But God isn't like that. He actually listens to our prayers, He hears them. And this is such a marked part of His character that the psalmist identifies Him by this characteristic.
I didn't get any farther than that one verse today. I felt the need to bare my heart to the One who hears prayer. As I got off my knees, I glanced at the desk in the other room. There was my alarm clock, partly hidden under my scarf. The sentence passed through my mind like a breath of fresh air: "Nothing that in any way concerns our peace is too small for Him to notice" (SC 100). A sense of awe, unworthiness, and love flooded my heart. I serve the God who hears prayer!
No comments:
Post a Comment