Monday, January 13, 2014

Daniela

She was probably around 10 years old. She had a sweet, expressive face and usually wore an infectious smile. She was a visitor at the evangelistic meetings in Pinar del Rio. She listened closely to the health talks and the Bible stories and sang the songs with all her heart. The teacher always smiled to see Daniela sitting right in front where she could see and hear everything.

Daniela especially loved her "teachers." The two visiting "teachers" were from some school in America. She didn't particularly care where they were from - she loved them! Especially the girl teacher. Daniela thought she was so kind and loving.

One evening the topic was baptism. After the health talk and Bible story, the children left the room where their meetings were held and filed quietly into the sanctuary. The pastor had planned a baptism for that very evening! Daniela's favorite "teacher" sat next to her. Daniela snuggled up to her, feeling a little sad. When the pastor made the appeal for others who wanted to be baptized to come forward, several people responded. Her "teacher" whispered, "Daniela, do you want to be baptized?" Sadly, Daniela explained that her parents wouldn't allow her to join the Adventist church. They had barely agreed to let her come to the meetings.

A few nights later it was time to say goodbye to the "teachers" from America. Daniela sobbed as she clung to her "teacher." "We'll meet again in heaven!" everyone reminded each other. Daniela still couldn't stop the tears. Late that night, Daniela was still crying. Her mother was desperate. Finally, Daniela's mother made a phone call no one had ever thought she'd make. "Pastor, will you please come visit us? Daniela is inconsolable because her teacher has left and she will not see her again. I cannot get her to stop crying! Please, will you come help us?" Within minutes, the pastor was at their house. Together the pastor and Daniela prayed, seeking comfort from the One called the Prince of Peace.

Early the next morning, the group of missionaries from the States were finishing breakfast and getting ready to drive to the airport in the next city. "I have a story to tell you," the pastor informed the group. "I received a very special call last night." He went on to tell the group about being asked to visit Daniela and her family. "You have no idea of the impact you have made on these churches, these people," he said. "God has blessed us richly through each one of you." Daniela's "teacher" cried, for the little girl had wrapped herself around this young woman's heart, too. But the pastor wasn't quite finished yet. Looking at the young woman who had been Daniela's "teacher," he continued, "This family isn't even friends of the church - yet." Then he smiled broadly, "But God isn't finished yet! This girl's heartbreak will be the means of opening this family. God will win them yet!"

The thought of heaven was already precious. But after the experiences of our mission team in Cuba, after the friendships we made there, the thought of heaven is even sweeter than it was before we went! The last Sabbath we were there, I had a conversation with one of my academy girls. We were talking about how hard it was going to be to leave those dear people. "Heaven is so far away!" the girl lamented. I pointed out that we have a part to do to shorten the time until heaven. Suddenly sitting bolt upright, the girl's face shone with new determination, excitement, and resolve. "I will! Oh, Miss Rebekah, I'm going to do everything I can to shorten the time! I will!"

I just love to watch God work! I loved watching Him work in the lives of the people we ministered among in Cuba, and I loved watching Him work in the hearts of our students and staff. Because of this trip, several more young people have caught the vision of carrying the gospel to the world. Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment