Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Come and Heal

Matthew chapter 8 records the story of a Roman centurion who came to Jesus with the request that the Savior heal his servant who was sick with the palsy. When I read the story again the other day, I was struck with the parallels in my own life. The servant was paralyzed and "grievously tormented." What a picture of the life without Christ, the life that has not yet been surrendered to Him! Paralyzed, we are helpless to come to Christ on our own. Grievously tormented, we are tortured by our sins and our consciences. Yet as soon as our plea for help reaches the ears of the Savior, the heart of infinite love not only longs to heal, but longs to come in person to do it. Precious Savior! Beautiful Lord!

One was a Roman, a soldier, despised;
The Other the Healer, the Compassionate Christ.
The first had a slave that was sick back at home
And had come to find Jesus, quite a ways he had roamed.

The Roman described the condition he'd left:
His servant was paralyzed, under dire torment.
The heart of the Savior was touched right away
And He said He would come and heal him that day.

You and I are that slave, sick through and through,
And there's nothing any doctor on earth can do
To heal you and I from the sickness of sin.
Only Jesus can heal the soul from within.

We cannot move, paralyzed from our sin;
Our wills are too weak to overcome and win.
Our hearts are tormented by thoughts of despair.
A life without God is truly a nightmare!

But listen! Says Christ, the Great Healer, to you,
“I came and I died to heal your case, too.
You can do nothing, you're paralyzed and ill.
Just ask Me, and I can heal you still.”


No comments:

Post a Comment