“It
is worth anything to
be able for the more delicate, difficult things of life and warfare.
So, darling, we shall think of these two or three years as given to
forging the blade for what only a blade of that temper can do.” -- Amy Carmichael
I read those words yesterday afternoon. I have been struggling with wanting to go back to the foreign field right away and yet knowing that God had not given me permission to go yet. My work here at "home" isn't finished yet, and I haven't finished learning the lessons He has for me yet. And so I wait, chomping at the proverbial bits.
Then I was given this book, A Chance to Die, by Elisabeth Elliot on the life of Amy Carmichael. Amy Carmichael has long been one that I count as a "hero of the faith." This book hasn't changed that view. The Lord knew I needed the steel in that book to strengthen my own commitment. Dedication isn't shown only in active foreign service. It can also be shown in watchful, contented waiting.
That quote hit me hard. I want to be the sharpest blade I can be for the Master's use. And yesterday He assured me that He's still forging me into the blade He has in mind. This time isn't wasted. It's my "forging time." I must choose to be content with His timing if I truly want to please Him and to be effective in His work. I will wait. It is worth everything.
Hmm. There's not a week I don't struggle with that, too. But He's so patient with me, and my impatience. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteHe is way more patient than we deserve! Glad it was a blessing, brother.
Delete